Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day eighteen Billings to Hardin

Last evening was very pleasant. We had dinner with the Billing's Jewish community and learned a bit of what it is like to be Jewish in Montana. The radius of the congregation is about a 3 hour drive Billings, although the rabbi did say that one family comes for the. High Holidays who lives 6 hours away and stays with relatives. They were very nice and we had wonderful food.
This morning we were treated to crepes for breakfast because Ilan and Danielle made the batter last night and got up early to cook them. I had mine with yogurt and marmalade which was delicious. I am eating breakfast before we ride and I am still hunger at whenever the first rest stop is which is usually about 20 miles into the ride.
We only had 55 miles today and the hardest hill was pretty early in the ride. Also there was this wonderful cloud covering, so I was feeling like this was going to be a nearly perfect day.  So around mile 20 I was planning what I would say about today's ride and how this was turning into the best ride yet when I started being attacked by giant green flies. I had brought my own insect repellant with me so I stopped to look for it in my pannier. Not there. I remember cleaning out my pannier at Carroll College and kind of remember taking it out because I didn't need it during the day and they had bug spray on the van if we were camping. Not to worry, only 2 more miles to the rest stop. Got to the rest stop but the van was gone to help Arye who had his fourth flat tire in three days. Complaining about the butting flies .but waiting patiently for the van to
Come back. There is no bug spray on the van. I am not happy. I spend the next fifteen miles being very annoyed by biting flies. I finally figure out that I can wear my long sleeve sheet and not be bothered. I am much happier.
I make it into Hardin around 12:30 and stop at a coffee shop for ice coffee. It is perfect. Others stop in and we sit around for an hour. We bike the 2 miles to our KOA camp in the heat but there is a nice cool breeze in the shade. Some people are going to the general Custer monument. I think they are crazy to spend more time in the sun. I spend a very pleasant leisurely afternoon here. My first in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment