Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day twenty-eight Shabbat in Aberdeen

Looks like it's clouding up which I like. Might go see Storyland (voted the 2 best family fun park in the USA I don't know by who) or the Prairie Museum or maybe even both. I had a very relaxing morning while most of the others were at services. Aberdeen only has about ten Jewish families. It one couple keeps the synagogue going.  I did go to services last night (although I slept through most of  it) because dinner was being provided by the congregation and also a couple who own an organic wheat farm here were going to be our guest speakers.

The Dacotah Prairie Museum won out and I was very glad that I went. It not only told the story of how South Dakota get settled but also the story of the various native Americans that were in this area. Also they had two local artists exhibiting their art. I was sorry others did not join me.
On the way back I did ride by Storyland but didn't go in. I'm sure if I had some children with me it would have been a fun place to visit.

I think we have one more full day in South Dakota and than we enter MN on Monday. Really it's none too soon . There may be other parts of S.D. That are nice but the northern part that we biked through is miles and miles of green which is nice for a little while but ad in the wind and it's time to leave. There are literally no trees close to the road. Any trees that are here have been planted and they are on people's property which makes it hard to stop for a drink or whatever in the shade. Actually it makes it impossible. This is prairie country.

The staff that did it last year did say the first three weeks are the prettiest and it's all downhill from here. Well I hoping it gets a little better as we ride east.
Bambi asked me to talk about my impression of the "big sky" out here.  I'm not the person to do it because living in Hull, seeing the sunsets on the bay and the rainbows and sunrises on the ocean I am spoiled by the beauty I have right at home.  I must say Montana was beautiful and majestic and I'll let you know when I get that feeling again. But I do enjoy meeting various people along they way.  That has been very interesting.

The day really does go by quickly. Just time to call home before dinner.
Still not sure what to do about tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Bernie! The book club ladies asked to follow you so I sent them all a post to subscribe to your posts. Pedal on! Margie

    ReplyDelete