Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day thirty-three Hutchinson to Minneapolis

The best of days the worst of days. I think I may have something like that before. Anyway today felt just like that. We had a day rider with us from Minneapolis, Jim, which was wonderful because he knew the area and the best route. Hazon was going to have us take a unpaved bike trail, he recommended we take the road for the first 20 miles, and than take a beautifully paved rail to trail bike path which was also at least half the time in the shade. It was almost 30 miles of riding pleasure. Totally smooth asphalt, tree shaded, light breeze. Who could ask for more. At the end of the bike trail we come to a pleasant little town and have ice cream at Ben and Jerry's.
From here it's only about 12 miles to our destination - the JCC in Minneapolis also mostly on a bike trail. The trail is hard packed dirt with many little stones. Hopefully it's not going to be like this the whole way. About two miles into the path I hear a pop and realize I have a flat in my front tire. I do not have a spare tube with me, mainly because I know if I get a flat I'll call Eli and he would have to come anyway to help and he could bring the needed tube. So luckily Jim had an extra tube that fit my tire and also Jim fixes the flat. But by now everyone was ahead and Jim wanted to try to catch up with them to show them the way.  It probably was packed dirt for another mile and Jim got a pretty good lead on the dirt. But it finally turned to asphalt and so I tried to catch up, which I did, but it was not easy. Also it was a very hot day and now the trail was mostly in the sun.  It was a very confusing route so it was important to stay together. At some point my front brake began rubbing against my front tire and I probably rode that way for a couple of miles. Finally I asked Danielle to stop and help me, which she did, but I think by this time I was pretty exhausted. I rode for another 5 miles but than as I turned a corner it felt like I have no brakes and at that point I decided to call it a day. We were only two miles from our destination but there was no way I was going to be riding.  Kim stayed with me and we waited for the van to pick us up. We bad been waiting for a reasonable time when a very nice person stopped and asked if he could help. He had a bike rack on the back of his car, so we of course said yes. He brought us to the JCC which was so nice. Actually it took us a while to find it because Garman was being less than co-operative. We finally got in around 4:00. I barely could keep my eyes open during dinner. I am now the only one in this very pleasant room. Not sure where everyone else will sleep tonight, but I know as soon as I finish this it's lights out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment