Monday, July 15, 2013

Day thirty Watertown, S.D. to Montevideo, Minnesota

Today as I rode 72 miles and passed from South Dakota to Minnesota I thought about what I will remember about South Dakota.
Cornfield
Soy bean fields
No trees by the side of the road. OK there was one tree about 1/2 miles from the MN border that provided shade from the road. Really one tree the whole time we were riding across the state. And I was on the lookout for them. I would see a bunch of trees in the distance and think maybe they'll be close enough to the edge to provide a little shade. But once I got near enough i realized that they were  set far from the edge of the road.
White pelicans
Corn fields
Aberdeen

So far Minnesota looks a lot like South Dakota. Corn field, soybean fields and more corn fields. We haven't seen any of the ten thousand lakes yet, but hopefully we will pretty soon.

Tonight I am sleeping in a bed. Six of us decided to rent a hotel room for two nights instead of camping out.  Tomorrow is a Jewish fasting day in memory of the destruction of the first and second temples in Jerusalem, so we are not riding tomorrow. Most of the group will be fasting and participating in services. I really did not want to spend all day tomorrow in the heat and being bothered by bugs. So we have a room with two queen size beds. Terry and Freddie with share one. I'll share the other bed with Dena and Élan and Eli will sleep on the floor. We could change that for tomorrow night.  So we have an air conditioned room, indoor swimming pool and comfortable beds.
A real vacation day for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment