Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day thirty-two Montevideo to Hutchinson

Sitting in the Hutchinson Middle School library where we will be spending the night. Hutchinson is actually a good size city of about 15,000 as compared with many very small towns that we ride through with population of 141 or 457. One town posted a population of 6. They have one family living there.  So this is a very nice school and we get to sleep in a carpeted floor. Actually they also have hard couches in the library, so I might claim one of them.
Good idea - done
Yesterday (or the day before) I got an e-mail from Serene ( she lives in Newton and did the Hazon ride last year) asking if I was having fun. So I thought about that today. Well, there have been moments of fun. Biking downhill for many miles is fun, but that only occurred after many miles of uphill. The water slide in Bowman, N.D. was fun. Meeting and spending time with Elizebeth was fun and going to the Dairy Queen with Dena, Eli, and Élan was fun. I'm sure there were other fun moments, but when I think  about the past 4 1/2 weeks fun is not what comes up.  Challenging, rewarding, learning much from interesting people, making new friends, appreciating a bed when we get to sleep in one, appreciating a cool breeze and a good shower.
Even though we are half way through our trip and a little more than have way through our mileage I'm still somewhat amazed at myself for doing this. I know I can bike 100 miles in a day and bike 70 miles the following day. I know that I am getting stronger every day and that it certainly looks like I will make it through the ride until D.C. , even though I may sag on some very hot days.  I think I will look back at this trip and I don't think I will say it was a fun time, but I do think I will be proud of myself for taking it on and hopefully finishing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment